Thursday, August 19, 2010

Please allow me to re-introduce myself...

Today I started wearing the hijab.


Today was also the most emotional day of my life. I woke up this morning knowing that today was the day my life was going to change alhamdulilah. Subhan Allah I there was no doubt when I woke up, I knew exactly what I was going to wear: dark jeans, white lace top, long navy linen blazer,.....and my new edition: an off white hijab. Everything was going so smoothly. I got dressed, and headed for the door. Still feeling good. And then it hit me, my heart felt like it fell into the pit of my stomach, i got a quick shiver down my back, and I realized this was all going to happen, it was really going to happen. I was going to walk out into the big world with a hijab and I was terrified....for about 30 seconds until I remembered that I wasn't doing this alone. Allah was protecting me, just like he protects the millions of other women just like me. Subhan Allah.


Later on in the day I took another huge step: I updated my profile picture on facebook. This seemingly small act was probably even more liberating than walking out of my house with a hijab on--because I was really revealing myself to most of the people I know. It was a lot easier to walk out knowing that I probably won't see anyone I know, but it wasn't as easy to reveal the improved me to EVERYONE I know. Never would I have ever imagined that I would have this much support from people. Jazakullah khair to everyone who is helping me in my journey. A special thanks goes out to Fazza, Ruqruq, Zainab, Maryam, Globo, Atif (who actually gave me the idea of doing this in the first place), Asma, Hossam, ALL of Qurba, and most importantly my parents. I could not have done any of this without you and Allah SWT. 


Allah SWT has given me so many chances in my life and alhamdulilah I am finally taking this one and running with it. I could not have done anything without HIM and HIS support. 


May Allah protect us all all and lead us down the right path insha'Allah. 




To all girls/guys/men/women who are too afraid to take that next step please remember:



Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. [with Allah's support and protection anything is possible insha'Allah]

Sincerely,

A Muslimah

6 comments:

  1. Salaamalikum,

    I read this blog and am genuinely touched.

    You have taken an amazing step forward to something even more greater. Your an amazing person and an inspiration to so many women now. Although it maybe difficult at times always remember..."Be patient, for your patience is with the help of Allah." (16:127)

    Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.
    Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.
    Qur'an 94:5-6

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allah yethabitik :)
    May your journey be filled with memories to harness, lessons to learn, and blessings from Allah.


    http://bintbattutaworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. proud of u big time baby girl
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. mashAllah very nice blog.... enlightened by reading it! congratulations on wearing the hijab

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A little faith will bring your soul to heaven, but a lot of faith will bring heaven to your soul."
    It's only the beginning, the best is yet to come, stay strong.
    -xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazakullah khair for the support and the beautiful references <3

    ReplyDelete