Thursday, November 25, 2010

Starve the ego. Feed the soul.

The ego is a very powerful thing, and it's very difficult to get rid of. Although this has always been going on, as of late I think the lines have been excessively blurred between ego and confidence. Taking Beyonce's song 'Ego', the whole song is dedicated to justifying a big ego. She makes it seem like a 'good thing'. I know this is just one song but I think it reflects a larger trend going on in today's society. 
Anyways...I've been taking note of my own ego because I know how detrimental it can be. I wouldn't consider myself as having a big ego (far from it) but to a certain extent I think we all struggle with it. So I've been constantly reminding myself is to thank Allah SWT for everything that I have, or am good at, however small that thing may be. I know this sounds pretty obvious, but sometimes the small things are harder to be thankful for because they happen almost subconsciously. So I've been trying to pay much closer attention to those little things. Subhanallah, whenever I say alhamdulilah, not only does it remind me of my blessings, but they seem so much more powerful. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but say I help a friend land a job. I feel happy that they got hired, and accomplished (to an extent) because I'm the one that helped them get there. But as soon as I remember to say alhamdulilah, I am automatically humbled and feel an even greater sense of happiness and accomplishment because I was privileged enough (through Him) to help someone out. 


Just the word alhamdulilah reminds me of my reliance on a greater power. And every time I say that word, I feel my ego getting smaller, and what a great feeling that is. La 7owla wala kuwatta ila billah. 


Starve your ego, feed your soul, and see just how far you go. Let your actions speak, and the more humble you are, the more powerful those actions become.


Sincerely,


A Muslimah

5 comments:

  1. We all get these feelings... but it can never be expressed in a more beautiful way, MashaAllah! Thanks for the reminder :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post - I came accross your blog through Imam Shakir's fb page. I have been thinking about and writing on this issue a lot lately. I feel that I'm stuck on this topic, and may bore people into fleeing from my blog lol, but I think it is so important, especially living in the West where we are encouraged to feed the ego, day in and day out. Having a strong ego is supposed to make you a well sound individual 'psychologically' speaking, because you have a strong sense of 'self' -- but this 'self' often comes in the way of our being able to humble ourselves infront of Allah.

    I am glad, however, that I am not alone in this struggle :) -- Alhamdolillah!

    With Peace sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alhamdulilah I'm glad you feel like you can relate! It is definitely a battle we must all go through, but just writing about it almost makes me more aware of my own actions. And I think you should definitely write about it! These daily struggles we go through are best overcome when we have a sense that we are not in it alone, as you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! Reading your blog makes me feel happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, it's always through God that you give thanks for giving you the ability to help someone out. Thank him for helping you help a friend out.

    Well written, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete